Thursday, January 14, 2010

Just How Big is a Star-Breathing God?

Psalm 33:6 says, "By the word of the LORD were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth."

That's great. God breathed stars into existence, cool. Impressive. That must make Him, what, as big as our solar system? Sweet.

At least that's kind of the concept I used to have. I mean, I knew God was big and I have no doubts that He created the universe by speaking it into existence. And then I learned just exactly (relatively speaking) how BIG stars actually are.

[at which point I'm going to try to embed a video into my post, wish me success]



I now know that when the Bible talks about fearing God, it's not talking about fear because God is mean, but because He is AWESOME. Did you see that last star on there? The one that makes our enormous sun look like an atom? Canis Majoris. It's like hundreds of millions of times bigger than our sun. My God BREATHED that star into existence.

I was asking one of my 11 year old sons this morning, as we talked about this, how big of a star he thought he would be able to breathe, you know, if he could breathe stars. We decided it would be about the size of a racquet ball. So, how big do you think God is if He can breathe a star that is hundreds of millions of times bigger than our sun? The answer from my precious 4 year old was, "Really, really, really, really, really, really...(continuing for several minutes)...BIG!" Amazing how little children completely get these enormous concepts so readily!

If I wasn't already floored by the greatness of God, He takes it a step further. Jesus said in Luke 12:7a that God cares so intimately about me that He knows exactly how many hairs are on my head. He has them numbered. And not just one moment in my life, but if I brush my hair and lose 16 hairs, He still knows. Every moment. Every hair. And not just me, but every person he created!

Kind of leaves you speechless, doesn't it?