Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers....and Other Imaginary Characters.


We had a great time celebrating Halloween on Sunday. The weather was perfect. We carved pumpkins into some very unique Jack-O-Lanterns on Saturday night. We have fun with family and friends at the church "Trunk or Treat". We gathered and ate WAY too much candy. And we came home and crashed while our older kids had a bit more fun trick or treating in the neighborhood.

I was asked the other day by a young Christian whether it was glorifying to God to participate in Halloween. I don't really like Halloween or for what it traditionally stands. But I recently read a blog post here that both explains and helps me understand why I feel the freedom to dress in a costume, carve a pumpkin and go trick or treating with my kids. I want to bring glory to God. Our enemy does not deserve to have even one moment of the calendar or the days that my precious God has created. "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." Everyday. And I will not allow the enemy to claim it as his.

Yes, I will carve a pumpkin with each child. I will let it represent the uniqueness and creativity with which God has endowed each person. I will light a candle inside and let it represent the light of Christ in my heart that fills me and spills out into a cold, dark world through the unique design that is me. And I will find ways to turn the fun, harmless traditions of Halloween into things that represent and glorify God. And I will fight against any evil that tries to claim the day as it's own.

Friends join us as a welcome addition to the family!

Josh is carving his first pumpkin ever!

I help Luke and carve my little guys' chosen designs.

I love to see Todd helping, and we Skype in our depl*yed friend so he can watch his kids.

Heading to "trunk or treat"

Don't ask me how I got Todd into the parrot costume without a fuss!

Darth Maul.

I've seen a purple cow, but never a purple gorilla!

That's my "baby" and her friends.

Sunset on the Joker.

Todd's venture into the abstract! Surprisingly artistic!

My pumpkin spoke "Mickey Mouse" to me!

Our princess's princess.

Tadd's fire breathing dragon. Awesome design and execution!

Tim's great big happy face!

Kevin wanted Bat Man.

And Izaak wanted Superman! I absolutely had nothing to do with his choice!

All the Jack-o-lanterns at our house this year. Quite the sceen!


Photobucket