Thursday, February 11, 2010

Crazy-ness!

I knew that I would need to make treats for the kids' Valentine's Day class parties. So when I saw this guest post on MckMama's blog a last week, I knew this was exactly what I wanted to make.

I must be CRAZY!

Piping these hearts was the easy part! Then I rolled out fondant and covered my Oreo Cakesters (the kids and Todd helped me with this part). Then I had to head to work for my 9 pm to 2 am shift.

When I got home, exhausted, I could not for the LIFE of me find the other box of fondant that I had bought, nor the sparkly sugar. Being so tired I could hardly stand and wanting to cry, I did the only thing a girl could do in my situation. I woke my husband! Yes, at 2 am I dragged my husband out of bed to run to the store for the missing fondant and sugar, and THEN I convinced him to help me finish these little monsters. (Huge hugs and kisses to my wonderful hubby, Todd!)

Todd helped cover the rest of the cakesters while I rolled fondant. He rolled the pink ones in the sparkly sugar and applied the hearts. And then came the nightmare! These precious hearts, so deceptively beautiful, shatter with the slightest pressure. And getting them to stand at attention on top of the cakesters at 3 am, well, all I can say is at least there was no swearing, almost.

We discovered that our house is completely devoid of toothpicks, that we wanted to use to prop the hearts up until the frosting set. So we got creative and used wooden matches. Whatever works, right?

So, here's the finished product. Each of the twins took a tray like this to school this morning. What do you think the odds are that those delicate hearts made it to school in the arms of two 11 year old boys? Yeah, that's what I thought. I have one more tray to finish for my daughter's school dance tomorrow. I will have to make more scrolly hearts since we broke way more than I allowed for breakage, but that's the easy part right? It's attaching them that made me crazy.

You know the craziest part of all? It's how CRAZY much I love my kids!

***UPDATED***
I asked the boys, out of curiosity, if the hearts made it to school intact. The answer was that most did not, though a few did. And it seemed that when one fell it had a domino effect. Oh well. At least I got to take pictures before they crashed! And Letha has agreed that she'd rather not have to deal with the shatter-bent hearts. Perhaps I will just pipe them flat onto the cakesters.

Photobucket